The General Assembly (GA) is the highest organ of the Inter-American Conference on Social Security. It is made up of the entire CISS membership:
- Full Members
Only full members have the right to vote. The other members have a voice.
Ordinarily, the GA meets every three years; however, it can also meet extraordinarily at the request of the President of the Conference, or by at least 5 members of the Standing Committee.
Their sessions can be held in any of the countries to which the members of the Conference belong, regardless of their category.
The sessions of the Assembly include: the Permanent Committee, Secretary General, Comptroller, the Director of the Inter-American Center for Social Security Studies (CIESS), the Executive Boards of the American Social Security Commissions (CASS) and CIESS, and the Executive Councils of the Sub-regions. They may also attend, as observers, international organizations, institutions, related organizations and personalities invited by the Chairman of the CISS.
Although the President of the CISS presides over the session of the General Assembly, the Head of Government of the host State may be invited to hold this position honorably during the session.
The following are among the functions of the General Assembly:
- Establish the necessary policies and norms for the fulfillment of the purposes of the CISS.
- Issue Declarations and recommendations regarding social security.
- Approve the triennial activity programs of the CISS bodies, including financial projections for the next 3 years.
- Approve the three-year financial and budgetary report of the CISS.
- To elect the President, the three Vice-Presidents, the Secretary General, the Comptroller of the Conference, and the Director of CIESS, in accordance with the provisions of the corresponding norms.
- Decide on membership and disaffiliation requests from members.
- Create, modify and delete the CASS, the Sub-regions, the Special Commissions and the Working Groups deemed as appropriate.
- Approve the venue and date of the meetings.
- Set and review the contribution quotas of CISS members.
- Approve and totally or partially amend the Statute of the CISS
It is important to mention that the constitution and operation of the Assembly is governed mainly by the Statute of the Conference, and by the Regulations of the General Assembly.