- January 1, 2019
Technical Assitance and Ciss Accompaniment
At the CISS, we have poured all our energies into the task of creating a new technical assistance model, so that the region can live up to the challenges of the 21st century, which is understood as an accompaniment process based on the collective construction of public policy programs and proposals, in order to guarantee the right to social security for all people in our continent.
The Technical Assistance and Accompaniment (ATyA, by its acronym in Spanish) provided by the CISS toward the institutions and countries that comprised its membership has as main objective to strengthen the institutional capabilities in order to make a contribution towards the universal coverage and the quality of the protection and social security systems, aiming to contribute with the design and development of a new approach for universal welfare in all those Countries that are part of the Conference.
In conceptual and methodological terms, the CISS’ ATyA will be focused on the institutions, so they can direct their management to a strategic, normative and conceptual design based on a human rights and people’s welfare approach; consolidate the sustainability, transparency, and accountability of protection and social security systems; be formed by highly qualified and professional public servants and technical teams; develop knowledge management processes and systems: follow-up systems, systemization, reliable, useful and relevant information and indicators; and finally, so they can have the capacity to build up feasibility and achieve an impact on the design, implementation and evaluation of public policies regarding welfare, protection and social security.
CISS’ ATyA principles are imperative and guide each of the steps that make up the ATyA processes.
- Collective Construction: the ATyA projects are not designed nor executed on a one-way basis, but by means of an interactive participation and dialogue among the stakeholders.
- Intensity: ATyA projects implemented by the CISS comply with the highest quality standards, which are agreed upon with the stakeholders and verified for each of the activities and stages of the project. This means the identification, selection and assessment of highly professional experts, as well as technical processes based on successful public policies experiences.
- Innovation: It is sought to make available to the applicant the most up-to-date knowledge and the latest advances in the different matters of specialization of the Conference. We incentivize that CISS’ experts and technical teams, with which they work, can create adequate innovation processes for the specific realities of the institutions and countries, in which any ATyA is developed.
- Diversity Respect: ATyA’s projects take into account the different realities and contexts, by keeping a deep respect towards social, political and cultural diversity.
- Sustainable improvement: The ATyA projects contribute to generate long-term benefits, as well as to install long-lasting capacities in the institutions and host countries, taking into account their current needs without endangering their future.
- Completeness: It is understood that the welfare and social security problems are complex social concerns, that require a specific approach and transformation from different sectors, disciplines and perspectives.
- Equality: Every ATyA project shall take into account the diverse consequences that any public policy proposal may have for different identities. Therefore, all our projects are built up from diverse experiences and needs, looking for collective benefits, that may close the different inequality gaps.
- Inclusion of priority groups: Although the CISS ATyA develops its actions and processes considering all population groups, it will place special emphasis on incorporating historically excluded groups into social security, that means:children, people with physical impairments, students, older adults, migrants, agricultural laborers, homeless people, housewives and domestic workers, among others.
- Suitability: Feasible and specific proposals and solutions are provided, according to the specific problems and challenges of every context, taking into consideration the available and potential resources. The final result of ATyA projects shall be useful for the decision-makers on design, implementation and public policies assessment.
- Solidarity: Every technical assistance process is founded on the solidarity and joint responsibility among members. This means that all projects will be executed taking into consideration the different economic, infrastructure and personnel conditions of every country and its institutions.
CISS’ ATyA approach is to act as conceptual facilitator, so problems and issues, which gave rise to the ATyA activities, could be analyzed and addressed.
- Human Rights: Every activity executed during the CISS’ ATyA projects is based on the existence of equal and inalienable rights for all human beings. Particularly, according to article 22nd of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, social security is acknowledged as a human right.
- Intersectionality: CISS’ ATyA is developed by considering that social problems are complex, and therefore, its solutions shall be comprehensive. Furthermore, they shall be sensitive and aware of the multiple social identities, paying attention to any discrimination process that may have an impact on access to rights, services and opportunities.
- Gender Equality: The design, development and evaluation of the ATyA considers at all times the right to equality between men and women, respect for different gender identities and, as far as possible, it will seek to make visible, to prevent and to eradicate violence against women.
- Cross-cultural: The reference terms, as well as the performance and evaluation of the CISS experts, should consider that in each territorial, institutional and national space there are different social groups with their own identity and culture; Therefore, there are nor unique, homogeneous or uniform strategies, policies and answers to perform such work. It is then required to act with flexibility, creativity and taking into account the diversity.
Although, the ATyA projects carried out by the CISS, are mainly focused on protection and social security, they can also comprise other subject matters that are related to welfare. Simultaneously, this projects can be of a different nature, for example:
- Public Policies analysis and assessment.
- Diagnosis and recommendations for improvement/ institutional change (regulations, organization and management)
- Data analysis and visualization training (including big data)
- Counseling for strategic and operational planning
- Welfare-focused program and project design
- Indicator system design to assess welfare policies, programs and projects.
- Actuarial studies
- Specific studies regarding topics and concerns related to protection, social security and social welfare and also to those social groups, which are excluded from the development processes.
- Demoscopic instrument implementation and design
- Inclusion, organization and social participation strategy design
The ATyA projects are composed of diverse tasks, which are specific activities of different nature:
- Preparation and execution of diagnosis and dialogue missions
- Workshops and round tables design and execution.
- Detailed interviews roll out.
- Preparation and execution of cross-institutional sessions
- Focus groups
- Survey data collection
- Short-, mid- and long-term expert consultancy